Church of The Ascension

WELCOME to the parish church of Stirchley, Birmingham


The History of The Ascension and St Hugh's

The Church of the Ascension is within the Church of England. and forms part of the Birmingham Diocese (originally it was in Coventry diocese).

 

The Foundation stone of the first church in Stirchley was laid in 1898 on a site in Hazelwell Street, until recently occupied by the car park for Kwik Save.

 

This first church for Stirchley was designed by W. Hale, completed in 1901 and consecrated by the Bishop of Coventry on 30th October as a chapel-of-ease to St. Mary’s, Moseley. The church was built on land adjoining the existing Church School and School House, which became the Church Hall. A parish was assigned to it in 1912 out of the parishes of St. Mary’s, Moseley and St. Nicholas, Kings Norton.

 

A daughter church serving the Dad's Lane estate was built in Pineapple Grove and dedicated to St. Hugh of Lincoln on 1st December 1927.

 

On Friday 29th October 1965, the Church of the Ascension was severely damaged by fire and subsequently demolished. However, some features of the old church were salvaged and used in the new church, notably some of the stained glass, the Stations of the Cross, the altar silver, the processional crosses and the vestments.

 

The congregation joined the people of S.Hugh’s and became a single church. The new parish church of The Ascension was built on land adjacent to St. Hugh’s. This church was designed by Romilly Craze and was consecrated by the Bishop of Birmingham on 14th July 1973. St. Hugh’s ceased to be a church and became the Hall for the new church. A new vicarage was built on land behind the church in 1992.

 

 If you would like to know more, there are documents of local historical interest

 available on historyextra

 

Vicars of Stirchley

 

1913 – 19     Revd. A. N. Crane 

1919 – 29     Revd. H. Noke

1930 – 58     Revd. E. W. Parslew

1959 – 65     Revd. C. Rider

1966 – 85     Revd. Canon H. B. Marlow

1986 – 96     Revd. D. C. Baker

1998 - 05      Revd. S. L. Huckle

2006 - 12      Revd. P.A. Kaye

2013 - 16      Revd. J.E.M. Houghton

 

Photograph courtesy of www.virtualbrum.co.uk